When Michael and Jessica left today, I went into the guest bedroom to strip the sheets off the bed. Michael walked in behind me to put something away, and that's when we discovered it. We had a dead squirrel in the planter around the tree in our front yard.
Michael and Jessica had the blinds open when they were here, so I was surprised that they hadn't said anything about it. It seemed to be glaringly obvious when you walked into the room, so I didn't know how they had missed it.
Michael and I talked about it for a minute. Then, as I continued to stare at him through the window, Michael went to get a trash bag and gloves to dispose of it. While Michael was in the back of the house, I saw the little guy's right paw twitch a little bit. I yelled at Michael that he was either not dead or had just died, and he was still having muscle twitches. I knew that would freak Michael out if he were trying to pick him up, so I told him he'd probably want to wait a little while before going out there.
Then, all of a sudden (mind you, I've been staring at him for about five minutes), he turns his head a little, lifts it up, and starts sniffing at the air. All this just before he does a little roll and sits up to stare back at me!
He wasn't dead after all...just taking a little rest in this heat. Crazy squirrel. He continued to just lay on the ground until we got pretty close to him outside.
Then he took his self-defense stance and scampered to safety.
He looked so comfy in his little spot that I figure we're likely to see him again. He let us get pretty close before moving, and I just kept thinking about how funny it would be if Michael had gone out there to pick him up and he jumped up just as Michael got close. I keep thinking about the squirrel scene from Christmas Vacation, and it makes me laugh.
4 comments:
That is hilarious! I guess he wasn't "napping" out there when we left. Michael was more focused on his, um, display of stuffed animals to pay attention, I guess. :)
The thought of Michael, with a trash bag and gloves, going out to pick up the poor little fellow, and then "Mr. Squirrel" not actually being dead - that has potential for being a hilarious video!!! :) I'm almost disappointed you saw him twitch! Haha! What a funny story!
Unknown: aka: Lynn Packer!!! These squirrelly "comment" things drive me nuts! (No puns intended)!!!!
What a great story it is sooo funny. I wish Micheal had got really close to it and then it moved. Love the the pictures.
Love ya'll very much and we miss you.
Post a Comment